In the early hours of this morning, 30th November 2012, I reached the ultimate goal: 50,010 words.
- Final verified count: 51012
- Average daily word count: 1759
- Days of active writing: 19
- Word count per day active: 2684
- Number of plots used: 3
- Number of unrelated ‘short’ stories written: 4
- Number of times I made myself cry: 3
It wasn’t easy, this year. I did a lot of things wrong, spent too much time procrastinating and doing other things instead of concentrating on my story. I flounced at the most minor interruptions, claimed writer’s block when really I was too busy faffing on the internet. I drank too much coffee and far too much wine.
Wait… that’s what writers are supposed to do. I take that back.
I’m not sure where I went ‘wrong’ in comparison to last year; it’s not that the plot was better last year because it really wasn’t. But last year, I did manage to stick to the same story for the full 50,000 words. This time, I really struggled, and kept writing people into corners, making them do things that didn’t make sense. They swung wildly between totally irrational and bitingly logical; at one moment doing stupid shit that made no sense, and then the next refusing to do something because it just doesn’t feel right, mew mew mew.
I liked them, though, as characters. I may not have represented them well on the page, but they were cool to be around. If a bit angsty. I dreamed of them, at one point. We were doing a crossword. My other half woke me up just as we were about to get 17 across and I was very irate.
Things I learned:
- The thing I thought was a plan? Was not a plan.
- I need to spend more time away from the internet.
- I need to read more. It is hard to write a well-paced scene – well, any scene – when you read nothing but forum posts and memes.
- Coffee + movie soundtracks + full-screen text editor = frightening but super-productive hyperfocus.
- I really enjoy writing.