The sun is shining (a bit), the birds are singing (well, shrieking, we’re talking seagulls), and after the usual winter lull I am launching into the crafts like a woman possessed.
First task: a dust cover for my partner’s electric keyboard. One wasn’t enough, either of keyboards or covers, so I was tasked with making a new one. The room it’s going to be in is very white (yay rental properties), and we’ve also ended up with a lot of white and dull-coloured furniture (yay IKEA). So we decided the place needed brightening up a bit.
That should do it.
It’s very simple in construction; I threw the fabric over the keyboard, wrapped the edges around the sides and a little way around the back. There’s enough leeway for the piano stool to fit underneath and for the cables to stick out behind. I was exceedingly lazy and used the selvedges along the bottom and at the back to avoid hemming. I regret nothing.
In fact, here’s a schematic, in case you ever have need of such an item. Or, more to the point, in case I have to make another one, because I spent altogether too long trying to work out how to put it together.
For a 6-octave keyboard (sorry; ~music workstation~), I used about 2.5m of 140cm wide fabric. It’s a light-ish printed cotton, which is enough to protect against dust, but probably not so hot for bumps or scrapes. I may have to add some cushioning to protect the touchscreen and some of the more delicate knobs, but as I’m not quite sure how to do that, I’m going to ignore the problem for now and hope my subconscious works something out.
With the conveniently almost-square-shaped offcuts, I decided to accessorise the living room with a new cushion cover.
Ta-daa! Cheap and cheerful. Definitely not subtle. I’m not going to be able to use this room when I’m migraining, but the rest of the time it will be great. 😀