When I took up knitting, I never imagined I’d end up making a cardigan inspired by unorthodox methods of corpse disposal. Then MURDERPIGS happened.
MURDERPIGS was my entry for the 2014 LSG Raveldacted Renegade Games, under the banner of Team Murderpig. Team Murderpig was inspired by the tale of a spurned lover posting his ex-partner’s yarn stash on Craigslist. We couldn’t believe that a knitter would voluntarily part with her stash, and came up with various theories about her disappearance, not least of which was corpse disposal by murderpigs.
(Note: A member of LSG actually claimed this stash, and was not murdered and disposed of by pigs. This is only one datapoint and does not necessarily disprove the murderpig theory.)
Thus Team Murderpig was started, and served as more of an archive of pig and boar gifs than a home for a knitting team. Such is the internet. But LSG knitalong rules are thus: do what you like, take as long as you like, just post about it before the demise of society and someone’ll be along to mash ‘love’ eventually. So we all had plenty of time.
Tweasel, my very own murderpig, acting as mascot, Ravatar, and inspiration for this cardigan.
The idea popped into my head fully formed: stranded colourwork pigs & crossbones, v-necked, steeked front because I was feeling bullish after Little Birds, sleeve setting borrowed from Little Birds. It was one of those moments of beautiful sparkly inspiration when you see the thing in your mind and are just YES THIS IS THE THING I WILL MAKE AND THIS IS HOW TO DO IT AND IT WILL BE PERFECT.
Knitting it wasn’t quite such a smooth process. It was fine for a while, the body took no time at all, but then I moved onto the sleeves. I don’t know if I got the numbers wrong, if I picked up the wrong needle, or if some atmospheric change affected my tension, but I ended up with two sleeves that were Very Wrong. It took me some time to come to terms with the reality of ripping them back, and then even longer to get round to redoing the maths and trying again.
By the time I got back to it, recalculated the sleeves, and got myself back to where I was before The Realisation, I had lost my original notes. I can only guess what I was thinking about at the start of the V-neck shaping. I don’t think the slight curve where the two sides join is intentional, but it works and I like it so I’m not going to argue. Past-me strikes again.
I didn’t bother to reinforce my steek before cutting it. Live dangerously. It was fine; the Shetland yarn is super-sticky and didn’t give me any trouble at all. The only minor difficulty I got into was that it was harder to trim the steek back before finishing it. I did crochet reinforcements on the last steek, which made it easier to hold on to and to see where to trim. Black yarn possibly not the smartest choice, there.
I didn’t think carefully enough about my pattern positioning, so I have a stray murderpig butt disappearing off the left front, though the piggies do (completely accidentally) line up between body and sleeves. Well, on the front, anyway. And if I’d thought about it and not been all OMGPIGGEH!!!1! I wouldn’t have gone for the black seam stitch.
Pattern: my own
Yarn: Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift
MURDERPIGS project page on Ravelry